taryn k.
Profile

My name is Taryn. I'm in my twenties. I come from the land down under. I'm married. I work full time. I like pretty things. My favourite food is watermelon. I hate dancing. I like to talk. I tend to contradict myself. I hate snails. I like you for reading my blog.

Layout: vehemency
Email: here
Twitter: here
Bloglovin: here
SHOP TARYN K: here



Archives
Reads

15 Steps, Then A Beauty Blog
A Cup Of Style
A Knuckle Sandwich Is Not Edible
All That Exists For Me
Autilia
Buy Now, Blog Later
Dania On The Street
Fashion Toast
Goss Makeup Artist
HRH Collection
Jessica.Hart/Blog
Leflassh
Lisa Eldridge
Little Bits Of Lovely
Llymlrs
Mariannann
ML 3.0
Natasha's Soiree
The Oatmeal
Pink Is The New Blog
Raspberry Jam
Sprinkle Of Glitter
The Sartorialist
Stylizimo
Whitney Port
Who What Wear
Xsparkage
Yellow Brick Home
Zoella

05 May 2011, 3:47 PM

Sorry for the delay on this post - my relaxing week of holidays became more action-packed than I expected!  I've been out almost all day every day this week so far.  But I've had today to just potter around the house, catching up on cleaning and organising, so now I feel like I can sit down and write a blogpost and not feel guilty. 

And I wish it was good news, but alas.

The 'drugstore' keratin treatment I began to tell you about last week turned out to be a massive fail.  I'll start from the beginning. 

I saw the Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy: Thirty Day Smoothing Treatment in my local supermarket last week and having heard a lot about keratin treatments on Youtube and on the beauty blog community, I thought it might be interesting to give it a go.  I obviously wasn't expecting salon-product results since the Organix brand only cost around $25, but I thought it might be fun if nothing else.


The treatment was quite easy to use, but there were a lot of steps, so if you want to try an at home product like this, I'd suggest allowing an entire evening dedicated to grooming.  The box included a pre-shampoo wash and the keratin treatment itself and the obligatory disposable plastic gloves.




You start with the pre-shampoo (duh), which works exactly like a regular clarifying shampoo, although I did find the consistency more watery than your average shampoo.  You then towel dry your hair until it is about 80% dry.  The keratin treatment is then applied to the damp hair lengths, then worked into the roots.  You leave it on the hair for thirty minutes, then blow dry straight with a round brush.  I found the blow drying step quite tedious as it takes longer than usual to dry and also because of the scent.  It starts off quite pleasant, a brazil nut scent (funny that) but soon becomes quite cloying and thick.  It reminded me of the type of odour fake tan leaves - not the same scent, but the same bleh-ness.  After blow dying comes the straightening.  You have to take 2-inch sections and straighten over and over, seven to ten times to really infuse the keratin into the hair cuticle.  And you're done. Yay!  However you now cannot wash your hair for 48 hours - which is usually fine, but with the product in, you feel like a complete greaseball, not to mention kinda smelly.

So my 48 hours passed and I washed out my hair, careful to use sulfate and sodium-free products (I actually used a shampoo and conditioner from the Organix range).  And I saw no difference.  Sure, I saw no frizz, but my hair is not usually frizzy anyway.  It straightened a little easier than usual, but it dried just as wavy as always.

Like I said, I can't say I was that surprised - I hoped to be pleasantly surprised, but I didn't expect to be.  I'm glad I tried it, I did find the process fun (I know, I need to get out more) and I suppose you have to try these things to see if they work in the slightest.  I won't be recommending this to anyone, obviously - but at least I can say I've tried it.

:)


Labels:

Leave A Comment


Newer Posts Older Posts