taryn k.
Profile

My name is Taryn. I'm in my twenties. I come from the land down under. I'm married. I work full time. I like pretty things. My favourite food is watermelon. I hate dancing. I like to talk. I tend to contradict myself. I hate snails. I like you for reading my blog.

Layout: vehemency
Email: here
Twitter: here
Bloglovin: here
SHOP TARYN K: here



Archives
Reads

15 Steps, Then A Beauty Blog
A Cup Of Style
A Knuckle Sandwich Is Not Edible
All That Exists For Me
Autilia
Buy Now, Blog Later
Dania On The Street
Fashion Toast
Goss Makeup Artist
HRH Collection
Jessica.Hart/Blog
Leflassh
Lisa Eldridge
Little Bits Of Lovely
Llymlrs
Mariannann
ML 3.0
Natasha's Soiree
The Oatmeal
Pink Is The New Blog
Raspberry Jam
Sprinkle Of Glitter
The Sartorialist
Stylizimo
Whitney Port
Who What Wear
Xsparkage
Yellow Brick Home
Zoella

22 May 2012, 4:16 PM

Day twelve of maternity leave and I found myself with not a whole lot to do.  Up until now I've been busy pretty much every single day, but today I managed to sleep in until 9am and have quite a leisurely morning.

It did give me an excellent opportunity to finally finish packing my hospital bag - and since I found these types of posts and videos on youtube incredibly helpful, I thought I do a post of my very own.
Bit of a disclaimer first - I'm someone who is quite happy to overpack, and by no means is everything listed here necessity.  I'd just much rather have something handy if I decide I want it rather than pack lightly and wish I had something. 

I'm going through the public hospital system in Australia and my elected hospital doesn't really supply much besides linen, hospital gowns and a pack of nappies, so it's really up to the mum-to-be to bring her own bits and pieces.  There's also no accomodation for the daddies-to-be, so Joe will be going home each night, which will be handy if it turns out I've forgotten something.  Hospital stays are generally three days, or five days for a caesarian, so I've based my packing on the three day stay.


Of course I still have a few things I'll be throwing in at the last minute, so I've made sure I have my list next to my bag, so that hopefully nothing gets forgotton in the frenzy of early labour.

Underwear type stuff - pack of daggy undies in a larger size that I don't mind getting rid of if I have to; two nursing bras (one comfy and one slightly more structured); two pairs of cozy socks since it will be autumn/winter by the time I'm in hospital.  I bought these from Big W a couple of months ago and have been waiting ever-so-patiently to wear them.

Tech stuff - camera, video camera, battery charger, rechargeable batteries, headphones, wall chargers and ereader. All fairly self explanatory. Iphone and its charger will be thrown in at the last minute.

Face cloth; mini hair straightener (just in case - I don't really intend to use it, but whatever, I've never taken it out of the box before); Biore cleansing wipes and toiletry bag.

Toiletry bag - cotton pads; kabuki; body wash; cleanser; shampoo & conditioner; argan oil; razor; bobby pins; hair lackies; dry shampoo; headbands; brown eyeliner; mascara; lipbalm; BB Cream and eye cream.  Still need to throw in my face powder - I don't really intend on wearing too much make-up, but I figure if there's going to be lots of visitors and photos being taken and I might feel like I need a bit of sprucing up.


Super fun stuff - nursing pads; maternity pads (I'm taking two packs just in case); nipple cream and plastic bag (for dirty clothes to bring home for washing).



Two long sleeved t-shirts, comfy enough to sleep in and one short sleeved t-shirt, all with front openings for easy access to the girls.


One pair of super comfy, baggy pajama pants, two pairs on yoga pants.  I'll probably end up wearing a pair of yoga pants on the way home since they're comfy and it's socially acceptable to wear them in public.


Soft pullover with open front - most likely to be worn on the way home, but might be handy depending on the weather and A/C of the hospital.  Apparently I like all my loungewear to be grey, haha.



Husbands stuff - spare change of shirt, underwear and a pair of bathers.  I plan of using the hospital shower during labour as a form of pain relief (God help me!) and if I decide Joe needs to get in there with me I'm sure the midwives would appreciate him wearing pants.


Onto the cute baby stuff!  Now, I know that I have definitely overpacked for Baby K, but her bag was already semi-packed as a nappy bag, so I just left everything in there and added a couple of things.
Fuzzy pink blanket for the drive home; modesty apron in case I'm nursing and have visitors (I'm fairly modest, but who knows, that may all fly out the door in a few weeks time); two burp clothes; muslin wrap.


Nappy wallet with change mat; baby wipes and nappies (many, many more than pictured).

The nappy wallet is so cute - I know I won't be using it during this hospital stay, but it was an item I already had in the bag.  I was given this as a gift from a friend, but I searched the brand and apparently she purchased it from this etsy seller. I love it.

Four singlets; three onesies; one long sleeved t-shirt; two pairs of socks; one pair of scratch mittens and two beanies.  I've packed a couple different sizes since we obviously have no idea how big Baby K will be - I was a fairly average size baby but Joe was a bit of a whopper, so I wanted to be prepared for either situation.

Two sleep suits and a sleeping sack.  The sleeping sack is an alternative to wrapping baby in a swaddle and I've read excellent reviews, so I thought I'd give them a go.

I found this blue bag organiser on ebay for a few dollars and added it to a regular tote bag I found in a local boutique.  Everything fits so nicely :)



So all packed and ready to go!  Baby seat has been fitted in the car, all baby linen has been washed and the moses basket is all made up, pantry and freezer are stocked with food, cameras are charged and ready, hospital tour and antenatal classes have been attended.
Feeling fairly ready to go!

Labels:

Leave A Comment


Newer Posts Older Posts