taryn k.
Profile

My name is Taryn. I'm in my twenties. I come from the land down under. I'm married. I work full time. I like pretty things. My favourite food is watermelon. I hate dancing. I like to talk. I tend to contradict myself. I hate snails. I like you for reading my blog.

Layout: vehemency
Email: here
Twitter: here
Bloglovin: here
SHOP TARYN K: here



Archives
Reads

15 Steps, Then A Beauty Blog
A Cup Of Style
A Knuckle Sandwich Is Not Edible
All That Exists For Me
Autilia
Buy Now, Blog Later
Dania On The Street
Fashion Toast
Goss Makeup Artist
HRH Collection
Jessica.Hart/Blog
Leflassh
Lisa Eldridge
Little Bits Of Lovely
Llymlrs
Mariannann
ML 3.0
Natasha's Soiree
The Oatmeal
Pink Is The New Blog
Raspberry Jam
Sprinkle Of Glitter
The Sartorialist
Stylizimo
Whitney Port
Who What Wear
Xsparkage
Yellow Brick Home
Zoella

19 July 2012, 7:18 PM


I'm taking my chances here and sitting down to write a few blog posts - the baby is asleep and seems to be out for a while, but we shall have to see how we go. You may or may not get to read this post when it was intended.

I thought I'd follow up on the "What's In My Hospital Bag?" post with a "What I Actually Used" post. Thought they may be helpful for any mummies-to-be out there that, like me, weren't sure what they should take to hospital.

I would also like to point out that I had none of this mythical waiting around for things to get going time during labour that all the pregnancy books speak of. It was all go!
What I Used:
  • Underwear - had plenty, but probably didn't need to buy specific hospital underwear.
  • Nursing bras - although not the ones I had packed. My mum ended up going and getting me a pack of sleeping bras from Target that are absolutely amazing for lounging and sleeping in.  They're not very supportive, so I wouldn't go for them if you have an overly abundant chest, but for me they're a Godsend.
  • iPhone and headphones - all our photos and videos were taken on my phone since it's so gosh-darn convenient. I used the headphones a couple of times during nighttime feedings to watch some youtube videos on my phone, just to try and keep myself awake.
  • Flannel (during labour to wipe my brow and the following evening since it was quite warm in the wards), shampoo and conditioner, shower gel, cleanser, eye cream, hair ties, hair brush, toothbrush, toothpaste and lipbalm.
  • Maternity sanitary pads. Yes.
  • Plastic bag - used as intended, as a bag to take home soiled clothes in.
  • All three shirts, and got Joe to bring me a singlet from home, but only because the ward was so warm
  • All three pairs of pants
  • Jumper - only wore on the way home, but was necessary
  • Burp cloth
  • Nappies and wipes - the hospital did provide a pack of each of these, but once they were gone that was it. So very glad I took these!
  • Two of the onesies - I was only in hospital for two days, so that was plenty
  • Sleeping sack - OMG THIS THING IS AWESOME. I will elaborate another time, but seriously, get some of these
  • Nursing pillow
  • Dummies - wasn't sure if I would be judged by the nurses for using these (you know, people and their opinions), but they actually suggested them when she was crying a couple of times. No worries then!
  • Pink blanket - in the car on the drive home
  • Slippers
What I Didn't Use:
  • Socks - but only because it was warm in the hospital
  • Camera, video camera, battery charger and ereader - I would still suggest you pack these, we just found it easier to use my iPhone
  • Makeup removal wipes, hair dryer, hair straightener, all makeup - I sucked up my vanity and just went with it
  • Nursing pads and nipple cream - I found I didn't need these while in hospital, but did once I got home. I'd still pack them anyway
  • Husbands change of clothes - I packed these in case Joe wanted to get in the shower with me during labour, but as it turned out, I didn't want anyone touching me during that whole ordeal, so he stayed a safe distance away from me (he was there for me but not right there, you know?). Probably still a good idea to pack them though
  • Muslin wraps - the hospital provided linen, so not really necessary
  • Modesty apron - probably should of used this a couple of times (my poor male friends just didn't know where to look!)
  • Change mat - I knew I wasn't going to use this, but thought I'd list it anyway
  • Hats, socks and extra changes of clothes - technically I didn't need to take any clothes, since the hospital provided them, but I still would recommend taking a couple of sizes
So really, I didn't do too bad.  I didn't want for anything (besides the singlet top) and I didn't feel as if I had overpacked.  Pretty much everything I didn't use I would definitely still recommend taking, so I feel like that was a successful packing job. 

image courtesy of weheartit.com

Labels: ,

Leave A Comment


Newer Posts Older Posts